Time was not on my side in the past month. I am the mother of a spirited kid. You might think not having a job would give me ample time to do so many lovely things, like taking and editing pictures, researching and testing recipes, then sharing the love. It doesn’t.
Here are the ingredients. Don’t be scared! They each play a vital role in this delicious and nutritious meal.
Here’s one way to make the recipe, because again I am the mother of a spirited child and sometimes I don’t get enough sleep and misunderstand the instructions of the recipe. This version is more time consuming but delicious, make double the Polenta and have it for breakfast with fruit and nuts, or fry it as a patty and eat it with arugula and a tomato sauce for lunch.
Here’s the second way which is more like a pie than a casserole and is faster to prepare. This pie recipe is transformed from this book. And although I was advised to stop referencing where I get the recipes (apparently most people steal recipes tweak them and post them without mentioning origins), this book is worth a long, five star review let alone a mention.
PREP TIME 20 mins COOK TIME 1 hour + 15 mins to cool
Notes: The first couple of times I misread the original recipe and precooked the Polenta (see the striped dish image). This adds 30 extra minutes, the texture is different but is extremely delicious and easy. To make more of a pie consistency (see white bowl image) follow the instructions below otherwise here is how I made the Polenta:
- 2 ¼ Cups Water
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ¾ Cup Corn Meal
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Mix ingredients, and cook the Polenta until thick, stirring continuously until thick enough for a wooden spoon to stand — 30 minutes
- 3 Medium Zucchinis (556 g), sliced thin in the round
- 16 oz. Fresh Mozarella, crumbled
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (294 g), diced
- 1.5 Cups Water Ground Plain Yellow Cornmeal (Polenta)
- 3 Medium Tomatoes (530 g), sliced in the round
- 6 Medium Mushrooms (142 g), sliced
- 6 Garlic Cloves (24 g), crushed
- 10 Olives, sliced
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Oregano
- ½ Tsp. Crushed Hot Pepper
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1.5 – 2 Cups Water
- 70 g. Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven 400°F
- In a 9×11 inch deep glass baking dish, coat with 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- layer the ingredients by thirds as follows:
- 1/3 zucchini — 1/3 Mozzarella
- 1/3 onion — 1/3 Polenta
- 1/3 tomato — 1/3 mushroom
- 1/3 garlic — 1/3 olives
- 1/3 spices — 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Repeat x 2 more times
- Add water
- Cover with Parmesan cheese
- Bake uncovered — 60 minutes
- Let it cool — 15 minutes
Salamat! All images and content on Raphanous are copyright protected. Please be cool and contact me if you would like to use my images. It makes me happy when you glean and transform my content but please link back to this recipe. Thank you!